In this week’s episode you will hear
Introduction : In this episode you will hear: Mark shares five announcements in Higher Ed
Preview Interview Dr. Angela McIver, Trapezium Math
- Angela gives her background as former math teacher and she starts with how the genesis of Trapezium started with a very successful Math Science Upward Bound program that began at Temple. The program won a lot of awards.
- Angela shares where her program was lacking and had to make changes. She became a participant observer to see why people drop out of college math programs
- Angela was so compelled by this that she went and got her PHD in 2005 by studying 40 kids in middle school, 20, 6th graders and 20 8th graders who took more difficult math problems
- Angela started her first business called Math Foundations which helped teachers understand why students do not understand math
- Angela became a professor at the University of Pennsylvania
- Angela then started Trapezium that had a wait list of a year and a half old, originally the name was Monster Math club but they had trouble getting that name. Trapezium was birthed in 2014.
- Angela talks about, what is the secret sauce that makes it work? She talks about how her program is different from the three most common models out there. She talks about what is different from her program and what else is out there.
- Angela describes the transition from an in person program to an online platform that is really serving kids well while maintaining their ethos
- Angela talks what age or level is the best time to start
- Angela talks about how her math clubs different math levels for different kids
- Angela talks how her program can accommodate student with learning differences
- Angela talks about “try before you buy” works
- Angela shares trapeziummath.com as the place to go before
- Fall session, is $47 per class
- One time kit purchase of $235
- Angela shares her evidence to prove Trapezium works
- Angela shares how many students have gone through her program
If you enjoy our podcast, would you please do us a favor and share our podcast both verbally and on social media? We would be most grateful!
Anika and I are excited to give our listeners a chance to play a role in shaping what topics we discuss, and what guests we have on our podcast. You can let your voice be heard by completing this survey. Just put the following link in your browser and give us your honest feedback. Anika and I would like to thank you in advance.
Every episode of Your College-Bound Kid will align with a chapter from the book 171 Answers to the Most-Asked College Admission Questions. To get a copy visit 171answers.com and if you want to see what future episodes will cover just click the red button “See exactly what 171 Answers covers”.