In this week’s episode you will hear
In the News (2:22): Mark and Julia discuss an article by Rick Clark in Georgia Tech’s blog entitled, “College Admissions Is NOT a form. It’s your story!” The article was written on 9/21/2023. (Length 16 minutes)
This week’s question (18:00): Lisa and Mark answer a question from Julia about what to do if your student has learning differences and he doesn’t seem interested in engaging in the college process.
This week’s interview (34:10): Mark interviews Marissa Salizar in what will be a five part series that will be over 90 minutes, that will do a deep dive on all things college visit. Marissa is over all the visitation programs at Colorado College, and we cover: “Open Houses, “overnight visits”, “admitted-student visits”, “fly-in programs’ and “self-guided tours” Part 2 of 5.
- Marissa continues with open houses as she talks about the logistics like, when are these Open Houses in the calendar and are their cut off dates
- We transition to discussing overnights and we talk about whether overnights are effective.
- We discuss the challenges of overnights and why you so seldomly see colleges providing them these days
- We transition to discussing “admitted student visit programs”
- Marissa talks about the structure of admitted student visit programs
- Marissa talks about the role social media plays with admitted students visit programs.
- Marissa talks about the structure and the various models our there for “admitted student visits”
- Marissa talks about what students like to have included in the admitted student visit programs and their Open Houses
- Marissa talks about two different models for student panels
Mark’s recommended resource of the week (43:40): Recommended Resource-Two different FAFSA 2024-2025 Walkthrough videos that are on YouTube: A 24-minute version by the Kentucky Higher Ed Assistance Authority: (51) 2024-25 FAFSA Walkthrough – YouTube and a second 44 minute version by Best College Aid: (51) NEW 2024-2025 FAFSA Walkthrough | Step-by-step tutorial – YouTube
College Spotlight : N/A
Speakpipe.com/YCBK is our preferred method for you to ask a question and we will be prioritizing all questions sent in via Speakpipe.
You can also use this for many other purposes: 1) Send us constructive criticism about how we can improve our podcast 2) Share an encouraging word about something you like about an episode or the podcast in general 3) Share a topic or an article you would like us to address 4) Share a speaker you want us to interview 5) Leave positive feedback for one of our interviewees. We will send your verbal feedback directly to them and I can almost assure you, your positive feedback will make their day.