In this week’s episode you will hear
In the News (26:57) : Mark and Vince discuss an article by Jay Matthews that appeared in the LA Times in April of 2023. The article looks at the research about whether a top tier college improves a student’s odds of making a lot of money themselves. https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2023-05-12/college-admissions-ivy-league-rankings-affirmative-action (Length 30 minutes)
This week’s question (56:20): Mark and Lisa will answer a speakpipe question Laura from DC sent in; she wants advice for her son who is trying to find colleges but he doesn’t know what he wants to study
This week’s interview (1:10:05) : Lisa starts a brand new interview with Dr. Louis Newman about his book, “Thinking Critically in College: The essential handbook for student success”.
Preview of Part 1
- Dr. Newman shares his childhood goal and his backstory
- Louis Newman shares the epiphany he had with a student named Rachel that served as the impetus for him to write his book-
- Lisa shares what she loved about the book when she read it
- Dr. Newman shares a number of things that students need to think about when they are trying to evaluate a college, and he also encourages things students should ignore, things that are over-rated
- Dr. Newman encourages students to look at National Survey of Student Engagement data
- He also encourages families to look at the faculty and alumni research
- Dr. Newman talks about the value of the Learning and Teaching Centers many colleges have
(Length 27 minutes)
Mark’s recommended resource of the week (1:22:55): The recommended resource is Collegekickstart.com
College Spotlight (1:37:30): Lisa completes Part 2 of 2 of her college Spotlight on Guilford College in Greensboro, NC
We now have set up audio recordings in your own voice for any question you send in for our “question from a listener” segment. In order to send us an audio message, just go to speakpipe.com/YCBK.
You can also use this for many other purposes: 1) Send us constructive criticism about how we can improve our podcast 2) Share an encouraging word about something you like about an episode or the podcast in general 3) Share a topic or an article you would like us to address 4) Share a speaker you want us to interview 5) Leave positive feedback for one of our interviewees. We will send your verbal feedback directly to them and I can almost assure you, your positive feedback will make their day.
Speakpipe.com/YCBK is our preferred method for you to ask a question and we will be prioritizing all questions sent in via Speakpipe.