Data science has become one of the most rapidly growing and in-demand fields in recent years, and it’s no wonder why. The ability to analyze and understand information is increasingly valuable to businesses. As a result, more students consider data science as a potential career path.
Why is Data Science Growing in Popularity
Our connected world is generating an increasing amount of data. Companies are collecting vast amounts of information on everything from consumer behavior to healthcare outcomes, and they need people who can make sense of the data. That’s where data scientists come in – they use mathematical models, algorithms, and other techniques to analyze the data and provide insights so organizations can make business decisions.
Advances in technology make it possible to process and analyze the data being collected at an unprecedented scale. As a result, companies can now make use of data in ways that were previously impossible.
Why You Should Consider a Summer Program for Your Student
Most high schools haven’t yet been able to incorporate data science into their curriculum. Still, a summer program can give your student insight into the field and provide them with exposure to foundational skills and techniques.
While summer programs don’t necessarily help with admittance to a particular college or university, they give students a chance to meet others who share their interests. In addition, they can meet instructors and professionals that will provide them with a better understanding of what’s needed to pursue a data science career.
Data Science Summer Programs
Below are some of the best Data Science summer programs geared toward high school students.
- Columbia University: Big Data, Machine Learning, and Their Real World Applications This three-week program focuses on strategic uses of data and innovative technologies.
- Duke University: In the Applied Econometrics program, students learn to use the statistical and econometric tools commonly used utilized by professionals to analyze data and understand economic measurements.
- Quinnipiac University: Computing & Data Sciences for High School Students is a two-week hands-on program for students to gain foundational experience from Quinnipiac faculty.
- Syracuse University: At the Data Visualization and Analysis program, students will get exposure to Tableau and Excel as they learn to manipulate and analyze data.
- The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania: Attending the Data Science Academy gives students experience with data visualization, machine learning methodologies, and the R language.
- University of Chicago: Data Science Summer Lab provides a paid research opportunity for students to work with a mentor to hone research methodologies, practices, and teamwork skills.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute Frontiers Program: Students in the two-week-long Data Science: Extracting Knowledge & Insights program will learn about data collection and visualization, and statistical analysis, along with developing their presentation skills to deliver findings.