Interview 134: Kirby Mcilyar on “How to choose a major and a career”
- Kirby shares her background, and she shares how she got involved in helping students figure out how to know what their best major and career is.
- Kirby shares how she does both career counseling and personal counseling.
- Kirby shares her website, kirbycounseling.com
- Kirby shares the first step that a student should take when they are trying to select a major
- Kirby has some great suggestions on how students can build a relationship with a professor in an area they are interested in. She shares how helpful this can be in selecting a major
- Kirby shares another creative idea for discerning if a major is a good fit for you.
- Kirby shares how smaller schools can be different from larger schools.
- Kirby shares what not to do, but her advice is different depending on the school size.
- Kirby explains what an IUT is.
- Kirby explains how bureaucracy can impact your college major.
- Kirby talks about the Self-Assessment instrument in Naviance called the Career interest profiler.
- Kirby explains how there are some good card sorts to help with interest inventories.
- Kirby explains what KNOWDELL is.
- Kirby differentiates Values from SKILLS from Goals from Ability testing.
- Kirby and Lisa both share some great stories about people who pursued a career that was not values aligned or interest aligned.
- Lisa gets personal and she shares her own story when it comes to career matches and mismatches.
- Kirby and Lisa have a very free flowing hotseat that is very interesting to listen to
- Lisa puts Kirby on the hotseat.
Share This, Choose Your Platform!